Thursday 8 July 2010

Don's Party

Don's Party. No, not the Australian movie of that name, set on a Federal election night long ago, well, a few decades back.
At the Warooka Hotel, into which I had hitherto never set foot, forty guests of the generous birthday boy celebrated his 86th with a fine meal overseen by chef Ian Whitfield. Gwenda and Elsie performed the song in Don's honour with topical words (of course). Denis was well enough to attend despite a full day yesterday, including our concert given in Minlaton. Isobel and Maureen did a kind of joint MC act.
 I drank one Cascade Premium as a nostalgic gesture for the South Hobart house I sold fours years ago - bad move - which was a fifteen minute walk uphill from the Cascade Brewery (and walking distance to the Hobart CBD). I'd intended to retire to the Apple Island!  Yvette received from me, as courier for June, the music sheet of "The Harry Lime Theme" from the film The Third Man, and tonight I have listened to the piece beautifully played on the zither, as originally in the film, on the DVD kindly given to me by Margaret. That is the DVD of an Andre Rieu open-air concert at Schoenbrunn Castle, Austria.

No comments:

Post a Comment