Saturday 5 March 2011

La Stupenda

Believe it or not our August concert program dares to go where no intergalactic spaceship has gone before, and will include the Vilja song from Franz Lehar's operetta The Merry Widow (a 1979 performance shown). This was niggling at me because we argued over the spelling (I was the note-taker) and tonight I feel more relaxed, upon finding at least eight spellings in use. Vilja is the correct Hungarian written version (of what is, I think, an invented name for the "witch of the wood"). Velia, Velja, Vilia are other contenders, and you can permutate at will. All will be relieved to hear that I will not be the singer. Our group does have good soprano voices.

If the late great Dame Joan Sutherland had known of our existence, I am hopeful that she would have rushed here to volunteer her services, maybe in return for a cup of tea and a sticky bun. Like the rest of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment