Wednesday 21 July 2010

Christmas in July

A local social event is the annual Christmas in July lunch run by the fun-loving Countrywomen's group. I was invited so that our male singing trio could sing, right after the Christmas pudding. I've heard of singing for one's supper but this was ridiculous.

Denis's recovery of health continues. It would take a lot to prevent him from playing a role in the song-making. And Don was also doing the Santa Claus thing, from long practice. I had only the pudding-eating to contribute, which I did well. What's more, the kind organisers even provided me with a vegetarian meal, alone among a roomful of carnivores, many of them hearty farmers' wives.

If you care to learn why they celebrate Christmas in July (as well as the other one), you must ask someone else. I have no idea.

The mail today brought me from England the last Terry Pratchett Discworld novel Unseen Academicals (of which I saw the stage version some months ago). The NEXT Pratchett book is to be launched in a few weeks' time; fourth of the Tiffany Aching series, I Shall Wear Midnight (great title!). I have lent his hilarious yarn Maskerade, to Gwenda who seems to read several tomes each week, and she will appreciate its fun-poking at the world of theatre and opera: it's a Discworld whodunnit with a setting evoking Phantom of the Opera.

On the way home from the lunch I detoured to Lake Sunday so that I could walk off some of the pudding. I  often enjoy a there-and-back walk for exercise along the shore, and the lake is never the same from one visit to the next. Right now it is unusual and scenic. There's water in it. Those who live in wetter climates may not be familiar with places where the labels 'lake' and 'river' do not necessarily imply permanent water.

Yesterday after singing rehearsal we watched (Swedish Director) Kay Pollack's 2004 film As It Is In Heaven. Moving and compassionate, funny at times, bit of a tear-jerker finish, musical theme. I'd seen it on first release, but like all good drama it only gets better on subsequent viewing. Thanks, Isobel, for your hospitality; and Lois for the DVD access.

No comments:

Post a Comment